Thinkpad 600E and 5.2
k***@tao.thought.org
2004-07-28 05:16:36 UTC
Folks,

Many months ago I tried a floppy install of 5.3 on my
HP Kayak. It poisoned. A few hours ago today I downloaded
the latest 5.2 floppy set nd booted my ThinkPad 600E.
The boot *did* see my Xircom Ethernet II adaptor, but the
kernel poisoned and rebooted after 15 seconds.

Eventually I will be able to use the Xircom. But for now
it's time to go back to old, STABLE 4.8. Soooo, nutshell,
what cards will work with my ISDL CAT5 cable in 4.8? I'd like
the name and model and any other id regarding the card so
that I get it right next time.

Thanks in advance, guys,

gary
Gary Kline ***@thought.org www.thought.org Public service Unix
v***@apt-telecom.ru
2004-07-29 12:00:01 UTC
Sorry for delay.

My unresolved problems are "watchdog timeout; resetting card" and
unreachability of the host from network and network from the host. I don't
understand what it means so I silly trying what is coming in my head:
ifconfig-down/ifconfig-up aren't help as removing/inserting of a card. One
technic is helping - "nmap -P0 <any-host-in-lan>" :)) so as reboot :((

I give it up while I'll have some time to knew about watchdogs and try to
resolve it.

2004-07-29 17:09:05 UTC
Closer. After I rebuild the kernel with target OLDCARD, and
rebooted (withh Xircom Ethernet II 10/100 inserted, no more
kernel traps.

I added

pccard_ether xe0 start link0

to rc.conf and rebooted. Zero. The cabling is solid.
The defaultrouter="10.0.0.1" entry doesn't seem to
have any effect. I set get the "Setup PC-CARD" message
when coming up. How do I get into this setup? Am I
missing some sysctl cmd? Anything else?

gary
Gary Kline ***@thought.org www.thought.org Public service Unix
k***@tao.thought.org
2004-07-29 19:33:11 UTC
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 10:34:30 +1000
[ ... ]
I just fired up my 600E. It's running 5.2-BETA from Dec. of last year.
Something my have broken since then, but I get NEWCARD to work with the
following in /boot/loader.conf: hw.cbb.start_memory="0x20000000"
hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range="1"
device cbb
device pccard
device cardbus
It was not happy with ACPI, so I am running APM.
My Xircom card seems quite happy there.
A couple of questons. First, we are prob'ly running a similar
5.2; none of the files in my KERNEL conf directory is older
that early Dec., '03. Where is the NEWCARD file? Should my
Xircom be recognized once I rebuild the GENERIC kernel?
I see that what you have as ^define targets and nodefines in
OLDCARD.

gary
Gary Kline ***@thought.org www.thought.org Public service Unix
o***@es.net
2004-07-29 23:35:26 UTC
Oops! I meant to just send that last note to Gary. Sorry!
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
E-mail: ***@es.net Phone: +1 510 486-8634
k***@tao.thought.org
2004-07-30 01:31:46 UTC
Post by o***@es.net
Oops! I meant to just send that last note to Gary. Sorry!
Same with my reply, so apologies to the list. My finger
tends tward the 'g' key by default.

gary
Gary Kline ***@thought.org www.thought.org Public service Unix
c***@spintime.org
2004-07-30 17:56:41 UTC
This didn't work for me, infact it seemed to make it just flat out not
recognize the cards. I went ahead and put -current on it and it works
wonderfully now.

Thank you,

Cody Baker
k***@tao.thought.org
2004-07-31 21:23:13 UTC
Post by k***@tao.thought.org
Closer. After I rebuild the kernel with target OLDCARD, and
rebooted (withh Xircom Ethernet II 10/100 inserted, no more
kernel traps.
I added
pccard_ether xe0 start link0
to rc.conf and rebooted. Zero. The cabling is solid.
The defaultrouter="10.0.0.1" entry doesn't seem to
have any effect. I set get the "Setup PC-CARD" message
when coming up. How do I get into this setup? Am I
missing some sysctl cmd? Anything else?
gary
Hi Gary,
Could you post your full /etc/rc.conf and /var/run/dmesg.boot? The
hardware you've got there should work, so I'm guessing this is just a
configuration issue.
For reference, the only stuff I have in my rc.conf to enable xe0 on my
ifconfig_xe0="DHCP"
pccard_enable="YES"
If you're not using DHCP, obviously put something else in the ifconfig_xe0
line. Using pccard_enable is important - you're running an OLDCARD kernel
so you need to make sure that pccardd is started to attach the card.
Hm. I'm running GENERIC again, after running with the OLDCARD
configuration failed. The system does recognize my Xircom,
but as "dc0" But when I boot with ifconfig_dc0="DHCP" I
run into 'watchdog timeout' errs (prob'ly from dhclient).

My card is a Xircom Ethernet II 10/100 CBE2-100. If your
card is identical, I'll go back to the OLDCARD conf and
try again.

thanks much,

gary
Gary Kline ***@thought.org www.thought.org Public service Unix
o***@es.net
2004-07-31 22:23:26 UTC
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 14:21:04 -0700
Post by k***@tao.thought.org
[...]
Don't bother trying OLDCARD. The CBE2-100 is a CardBus card and will not
work with OLDCARD at all. I have almost the same card, the
RBEM100-56G. This is the Realport version that also includes a 56K
Global modem. This card does use the dc(4) driver.
k***@tao.thought.org
2004-08-01 00:01:58 UTC
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 14:21:04 -0700
[ ... ]
Post by o***@es.net
My card is a Xircom Ethernet II 10/100 CBE2-100. If your
card is identical, I'll go back to the OLDCARD conf and
try again.
Don't bother trying OLDCARD. The CBE2-100 is a CardBus card and will not
work with OLDCARD at all. I have almost the same card, the
RBEM100-56G. This is the Realport version that also includes a 56K
Global modem. This card does use the dc(4) driver.
Well, you're right of course. With xe, nothing: with dc,
I actually saw the card. Still, with 5.2.1R, the networking
code doesn't see my NS1 server. 'No rout to host'...

Could it be that using -CURRENT would work? If yes, can
you give me the URL and telll me which ISO's I need to have
a friend burn? (A burner is next on my list... .)

gary
--
Gary Kline ***@thought.org www.thought.org Public service Unix