Toshiba Satellite refuses to work with 4.x
o***@pacific.net.sg
2004-04-29 09:56:55 UTC
Basically, I am not willing (better: not experienced enough !) to run a=
system=20
at state-of-the-art level.
So I would really like to go with 4.9 (or 4.10)
However: my "Satellite" can't even boot any 4.xx CD / Floppy.
=20
Boot Process stops with a message complaining about PC-Cards and Contro=
ller.
(Sorry, no screen-shots available)
=20
I think that the support for notebooks is much better in 5.x.

Have you ever tried to move to 5.2 or 5.2.1? The chances to get this=20
running are pretty high when 5.0 already runs on it.

Erich
s***@4gh.net
2004-04-29 15:27:19 UTC
I am running FreeBSD 5.0 (far out of date, I know) on a Toshiba
Satelite 1100.
Basically, I am not willing (better: not experienced enough !) to
run a system at state-of-the-art level.
So I would really like to go with 4.9 (or 4.10)
However: my "Satellite" can't even boot any 4.xx CD / Floppy.
This sounds like the same issues I have on my Toshiba 1005. I haven't
updated my web page yet, but I'm now using 4.9. See:

http://www.4gh.net/hints/toshiba/satellite1005-s157.html

To boot from the FreeBSD install CD:

Booting [kernel] in 10 seconds...
[press space key]
ok boot -c
[...boot messages...]
config> eisa 0
config> quit

The system should now boot up correctly. You will need to build and
install a new kernel which disables eisa support.
--
http://www.4gh.net/tudor/resume.html
Return address spam blocked. Work hard and you can contact me via email.