Xfree86 4.3.0 under 5.2.1-Relase on Compaq Armada e500
j***@iinet.net.au
2004-07-06 15:47:32 UTC
Having severe problems getting xfree to run on this machine;

Compaq Armada e500
ATI Rage Mobility P/M
8MB (?) Video RAM -- I think this card steals system RAM.
384 MB system RAM

Have tried around six different XF86Config files both generated from
xf86cfg and found in various places, including the ones posted on the
FLCL. I have tried these with ACPI enabled and disabled, but the result
is always the same.

startx hangs at:
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config"

The logfile reports nothing after the PCI probe stuff.

The system doesn't lock up completely; it still responds to
ctrl-alt-del, but that's all it will do.

I can post logfiles and/or dmesg output if anyone thinks it'll help. I'm
still running the GENERIC kernel.

Any help appreciated.
f***@altpeter.de
2004-07-06 16:11:29 UTC
Hello!
Post by j***@iinet.net.au
Having severe problems getting xfree to run on this machine;
Compaq Armada e500
ATI Rage Mobility P/M
8MB (?) Video RAM -- I think this card steals system RAM.
384 MB system RAM
Have tried around six different XF86Config files both generated from
xf86cfg and found in various places, including the ones posted on the
FLCL. I have tried these with ACPI enabled and disabled, but the result
is always the same.
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config"
The logfile reports nothing after the PCI probe stuff.
The system doesn't lock up completely; it still responds to
ctrl-alt-del, but that's all it will do.
I can post logfiles and/or dmesg output if anyone thinks it'll help. I'm
still running the GENERIC kernel.
Any help appreciated.
First of all, i would strongly suggest to update to 5.2-CURRENT ...
the 5.2.1 release is not really useable on e500.
Then update ports and build a new XFree and start then try to build
a new "xfree86 -configure" config and test again.

HTH

Frank Altpeter
--
FA-RIPE - ***@IRCNET - ***@ICQ
Member of the Open Business Club - http://www.openbc.com/
r***@makeworld.com
2004-07-06 16:13:37 UTC
Post by f***@altpeter.de
Hello!
Post by j***@iinet.net.au
[...]
Let's also not forget /usr/ports/x11/xorg
XFree can easily be replaced with that.
--
Best regards,
Chris
daily.cvd updated (version: 392, sigs: 1405, f-level: 2, builder: tomek)
f***@altpeter.de
2004-07-06 16:22:04 UTC
Hello!
Post by r***@makeworld.com
Let's also not forget /usr/ports/x11/xorg
XFree can easily be replaced with that.
Well then we should also mention XiG (http://www.xig.com/) :-)

With kind regards,

Frank Altpeter