FreeBSD on Sony or Dell? Or stick with Toshiba?
j***@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org
2004-05-15 18:22:01 UTC
Hi all,

I've been happily running FreeBSD on a P2-266 Toshiba for several years now.
I'm thinking of upgrading by getting something on ebay.

I love the look and lightness of Sony Vaios, but I'd like to make sure which
models are best for FreeBSD. If none, I'd consider a Dell. Or, am I better
off with Toshiba, which has been known to be 'other OS friendly'?

jm
My other computer is your windows box.
j***@berklix.org
2004-05-15 18:47:58 UTC
Post by j***@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org
off with Toshiba, which has been known to be 'other OS friendly'?
2 Toshibas I've known have been not friendly: Only way into BIOS
was via a DOS floppy. No Ctll Alt Del, Alt F2 ! Not what I call
`friendly', (but one did run FreeBSD, other was not mine to try).

-
Julian Stacey. Unix C & Net Services Consultant - Munich. http://berklix.com
h***@kestrel.alerce.com
2004-05-18 03:20:33 UTC
[...]
I am using the vaio grx-560 not very light, but everything that i want
to use is working. things i haven't tried are the on board modem, and
memory card slot. acpi seems fine [...]
Do you have any form of suspend/hibernate/... working?

g.
j***@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org
2004-05-20 16:40:14 UTC
: I am using the vaio grx-560 not very light, but everything that i want

I guess the vaio I am thinking of is the small purplish-metallic portable
one, with almost all external devices.

jm
My other computer is your Windows box.
p***@sendmail.ru
2004-05-20 17:05:03 UTC
Hello Jonathon,

JM> : I am using the vaio grx-560 not very light, but everything that i want

JM> I guess the vaio I am thinking of is the small purplish-metallic portable
JM> one, with almost all external devices.

freebsd and sony's acpi aren't good friends today
--
Best regards,
Toxa mailto:***@sendmail.ru
j***@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org
2004-05-20 17:15:33 UTC
: freebsd and sony's acpi aren't good friends today

So Dell is about the best bet then? As far as full laptop capability?

jm
My other computer is your Windows box.
d***@inethouston.net
2004-05-20 17:18:17 UTC
Post by j***@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org
: freebsd and sony's acpi aren't good friends today
So Dell is about the best bet then? As far as full laptop capability?
I'd be careful about dells, they've been having high failure rates
recently, specifically with their laptops.
--
David W. Chapman Jr.
***@inethouston.net Raintree Network Services, Inc. <www.inethouston.net>