Serial console on a ThinkPad?
d***@langille.org
2004-07-16 02:22:36 UTC
To help diagnose these APAPI problems with the CDRW, I'm going to
setup a serial console on my IBM ThinkPad T41. However, there is no
serial port. Well, none that I can see. There is no traditional DB9
plug.

The specs for the laptop say "Serial Port Type 2 (USB 2.0)". I
don't know how to hook that up to the serial port on another system.

I have heard of USB-serial adaptors. Is this an option?

Ideas/suggestions. Thanks.
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/
r***@psg.com
2004-07-16 02:25:09 UTC
i think that serial port is if you have a docking station.
i use a digital camera. pita

randy
b***@spc.org
2004-07-16 19:16:11 UTC
I had a look at this. I have an overview of how to do it (manual
pages dcons(4), dconschat(8) and possibly a few others linked from
those). But the problem is hardware. None of my computers have
firewire. That means buying two firewire cards. That's about $225
minimum (including the taxes and the cable).
I paid the equivalent of USB $20 for both my NEC-based PCI and CardBus
firewire cards... including cables, and taxes, here in .uk.

BMS
b***@spc.org
2004-07-16 19:34:05 UTC
Post by b***@spc.org
I paid the equivalent of USB $20 for both my NEC-based PCI and CardBus
firewire cards... including cables, and taxes, here in .uk.
That's USD I think. If I could get them at those prices, I'd buy
them. Used? I must be looking in the wrong stores.
USD. :) Each, that is. The PCI cards I bought new from an online shop, many
firewire knock-offs abound now. The CardBus card I bought from eBay.

All of my cards are based around the NEC uPD72861 or similar and thus
supported by fwohci(4).

BMS
p***@pir.net
2004-07-16 19:35:19 UTC
That's USD I think. If I could get them at those prices, I'd buy
them. Used? I must be looking in the wrong stores.
Ebay, for those prices. New, in box, if you like.

I've bought (in the US) combo firewire/USB2.0 PCI cards for $20 or $25
shipped in the last few months by searching on "firewire pci"...

P.
--
pir