reformatting laptop & ACPI: special partitions?
r***@meridian-enviro.com
2004-05-11 21:35:43 UTC
Kevin> Some systems also support a light sleep which only stops the
Kevin> CPU and turns off the display. This one still drains the
Kevin> battery pretty quickly.

Are there any "screen saver" options for ACPI laptops? None of the
Dell laptops I've had support DPMS, and being able to just turn off
the screen after a few minutes of unuse would save alot.
o***@es.net
2004-05-11 22:23:30 UTC
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 16:33:20 -0500
Kevin> Some systems also support a light sleep which only stops the
Kevin> CPU and turns off the display. This one still drains the
Kevin> battery pretty quickly.
Are there any "screen saver" options for ACPI laptops? None of the
Dell laptops I've had support DPMS, and being able to just turn off
the screen after a few minutes of unuse would save alot.
It's FreeBSD that has lacked support of VESA DPMS.

If you are running CURRENT, John Baldwin has added VESA DPMS to the
acpi_video kernel module. I suspect that this will work on you system,
but I am never positive of anything on any other laptop. google on
acpi_video_dpms.patch in Google Groups.

I don't know when this might be committed to CURRENT, let alone MFCed to
STABLE.

If your Dell really does not support DPMS, I'm not sure where to try.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)