Acer TravelMate 212TX Laptop, AGP error of sorts.
m***@dsl.pipex.com
2004-04-30 10:36:34 UTC
I posted this to questions as I didn't realise there was a mobile list. So
I will just copy paste the same message I guess :o)

-----

Hello All,

I have just just aquired the laptop in the title and have tried FreeSBIE
(1.0?) on it, the one based on 5.2.1-R. It fails to boot normally, the only
option that appears to half work is safe mode otherwise it'll hang at some
IP thing: "IPsec: Initialized Security Association Processing.".

With safe mode, it is able to boot providing at the Init local packages bit
I press ctrl+c (otherwise it panics... more on that later :o) Right now I
have got it running and it'll start X and everything fine, I am quite
chuffed. However in dmesg I just noticed something the panic may be related
too:

agp0: <Ali Generic host to PCI bridge> mem 0xe0000000-0xe3fffff at device
0.0 on pci0
agp0: bad initial aperture size, disabling
device_probe_and_attach: agp0 attach returned 6

I am guessing this is broken hardware? Anyway, in safe mode the panic
occurs (whenever I load any kernel module by the looks of it) is: (be
warned, this probably isn't really all that helpful but I am waiting for a
hard disk to arrive... then I may be able to build a debug kernel if it's
needed?)

agp0: <Ali Generic host to PCI bridge> mem 0xe0000000-0xe3ffffff at device
0.0 on pci0
panic: resource_list_alloc: resource entry is busy

I tried just booting a normal earlier 5.1-R CD which gave a different panic
along the lines of:

contigmalloc0: size must not be 0

Any help would be much appreciated, i'd like to try and use FreeBSD on this
laptop if at all possible :o)
o***@pacific.net.sg
2004-04-30 10:46:48 UTC
Post by m***@dsl.pipex.com
I posted this to questions as I didn't realise there was a mobile list. So
I will just copy paste the same message I guess :o)
This is life.
Post by m***@dsl.pipex.com
agp0: <Ali Generic host to PCI bridge> mem 0xe0000000-0xe3fffff at device
0.0 on pci0
agp0: bad initial aperture size, disabling
device_probe_and_attach: agp0 attach returned 6
I have had a problem like this too on a normal PC. Just change the AGP
setting in the BIOS.
Post by m***@dsl.pipex.com
Any help would be much appreciated, i'd like to try and use FreeBSD on this
laptop if at all possible :o)
There should not be any problem.

Erich
o***@pacific.net.sg
2004-04-30 11:47:51 UTC
| > agp0: <Ali Generic host to PCI bridge> mem 0xe0000000-0xe3fffff at
device
| > 0.0 on pci0
| > agp0: bad initial aperture size, disabling
| > device_probe_and_attach: agp0 attach returned 6
| >
| I have had a problem like this too on a normal PC. Just change the AGP
| setting in the BIOS.
There isn't actually an AGP setting in the BIOS on this laptop, it's all
pretty basic!
I could change this in my BIOS and it worked afterward.

Check your BIOS again. It was also hidden pretty good on my machine.

Maybe, somebody else has some better idea.

Erich