Help with IBM T41 (CDRW)
k***@verizon.net
2004-06-01 20:27:44 UTC

I just got a Thinkpad T41 & would appreciate some help setting it up.

I'm running -CURRENT with some success -- right now the CDRW & suspend aren't
working right. But wireless is great (via NDIS0). I'm also not sure if the
ltmdm port should work. (It doesn't at present).

Any thoughts, pointers? So far I've disabled IDE2 via PS2 which seems to cure
most lockups.

I've also added the following to /boot/loader.conf:

snd_ich_load="YES" # Intel ICH
hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range="1"

Thanks.
Kent
k***@verizon.net
2004-06-02 01:06:46 UTC
Thanks for the pointers. After your note that it should work (which is useful
*and* encouraging), let me provide more info. I notice that the CD is probed
with PIO4, not UDMA33.

First off, everything seems to work correctly correctly when I reboot under
XP.

Under -CURRENT, I am able to mount a CD until I run "burncd". Then whenever I
try to mount a CD, I get the "REQUEST_SENSE data overrun error" listed below.
This is for just written & commercial CDs. The CDs I burn via "burncd" are
readable under XP.

Any thoughts?

Under -CURRENT, the probe & error messages are as follows:

Jun 1 13:36:32 kent kernel: ad0: 35293MB <HTS548040M9AT00> [71707/16/63] at
ata0-master UDMA100
Jun 1 13:36:32 kent kernel: ata1-slave: FAILURE - ATAPI_IDENTIFY no interrupt
Jun 1 13:36:32 kent kernel: ata1-slave: FAILURE - ATAPI_IDENTIFY no interrupt
Jun 1 13:36:32 kent kernel: acd0: CDRW <UJDA755zDVD/CDRW> at ata1-master PIO4

Jun 1 13:36:48 kent kernel: cd9660: RockRidge Extension
Jun 1 13:37:34 kent kernel: cd9660: RockRidge Extension
Jun 1 13:43:17 kent kernel: cd9660: RockRidge Extension
Jun 1 13:44:53 kent kernel: acd0: WARNING - REQUEST_SENSE read data overrun
18>0
Jun 1 13:45:22 kent last message repeated 58 times
Post by k***@verizon.net
I'm running -CURRENT with some success -- right now the CDRW & suspend
aren't working right. But wireless is great (via NDIS0). I'm also not
sure if the ltmdm port should work. (It doesn't at present).
I'm curious as to what the problem is with the CDRW. I have had no issues
whatsoever on my T41p.
As for suspend/resume, it works for me when running either with APM (and
ACPI disabled) or with neither APM nor ACPI. I regularly try it with ACPI
though when I see updates being made to this area. But for now you might
want to try disabling ACPI.