looking at an IBM ThinkPad T41
r***@psg.com
2004-06-09 22:58:58 UTC
You'll have fun freeing up space for a FreeBSD partition
partition magic is your friend

randy
r***@gid.co.uk
2004-06-09 23:20:09 UTC
Post by r***@psg.com
You'll have fun freeing up space for a FreeBSD partition
partition magic is your friend
Not when I don't have a copy to hand and I want to get my shiny new laptop
installed *RIGHT NOW* :-)

--
Bob Bishop +44 (0)118 977 4017
***@gid.co.uk fax +44 (0)118 989 4254
d***@langille.org
2004-06-10 01:45:57 UTC
Post by r***@psg.com
You'll have fun freeing up space for a FreeBSD partition
partition magic is your friend
fips is what I used on the T22. Did the job just fine. But then,
that was Windows 98.
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/
BSDCan - http://www.bsdcan.org/
o***@pacific.net.sg
2004-06-10 02:39:54 UTC
Ethernet, 1yr warranty, Windows XP Pro (which I'll leave on, and dual
boot).
Isn't it three years warranty on all T models?
Price: CAD$1720 (that's about US$1300)
The price sounds good. My neighbour bought the 1.5 GHz model last week
for some 2000 USD. It came with 512MB extra RAM. The rest is the same as
yours.

Erich
d***@langille.org
2004-06-10 08:10:43 UTC
Post by o***@pacific.net.sg
Hi,
Ethernet, 1yr warranty, Windows XP Pro (which I'll leave on, and dual
boot).
Isn't it three years warranty on all T models?
When new.
Post by o***@pacific.net.sg
Price: CAD$1720 (that's about US$1300)
The price sounds good. My neighbour bought the 1.5 GHz model last week
for some 2000 USD. It came with 512MB extra RAM. The rest is the same as
yours.
That's why they got a 3 year warranty I suspect.
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/
BSDCan - http://www.bsdcan.org/
d***@rsasecurity.com
2004-06-10 04:52:44 UTC
I just got a new Tecra M2, pre-loaded with XP. SystemRescueCD
(http://www.sysresccd.org/) was my friend. It includes QTParted,
which can shrink NTFS partitions without distrbing the existing OS
installation.

--- David
Post by r***@gid.co.uk
Post by r***@psg.com
You'll have fun freeing up space for a FreeBSD partition
partition magic is your friend
Not when I don't have a copy to hand and I want to get my shiny new laptop
installed *RIGHT NOW* :-)
Then BootIt Next Generation is your friend (you can try it out
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/
Boot it from either a floppy or CDROM. Just DO NOT INSTALL IT, but
instead hit, "cancel", to go into maintenance mode, where you can then
resize FAT32/NTFS partitions.
o***@sercon.de
2004-06-10 09:49:01 UTC
Post by o***@pacific.net.sg
Ethernet, 1yr warranty, Windows XP Pro (which I'll leave on, and dual
boot).
Isn't it three years warranty on all T models?
This depends on the Type/Model you buy. The T41 comes in 3 main types:
2378DHU => Economy: 1.4 GHz,256MB, 1 Year Warranty
2379DJU => Value: 1.6 GHz,256MB, 3 Years Warranty
2379DKU => Performance: 1.6 GHz,512MB, 3 Years Warranty

As everyone expects, the price rises 2378 < 2379.
The letters (DJU ./. DKU) represent the configuration differences.

So, calling a (second hand) Thinkpad just T41 is not enough,
even if the hardware configuration matches more or less.
ALWAYS ask for the Type/Model number and compare the conditions
on the IBM website.

IBM regards Warranty as a feature, like any memory extention, hard disk
etc.
--Orm
r***@gid.co.uk
2004-06-10 10:45:12 UTC
Post by o***@pacific.net.sg
Ethernet, 1yr warranty, Windows XP Pro (which I'll leave on, and dual
boot).
Isn't it three years warranty on all T models?
This depends on the Type/Model you buy. [etc]
It may depend on the territory too - all the T41s are 3 year warranty in UK.

--
Bob Bishop +44 (0)118 977 4017
***@gid.co.uk fax +44 (0)118 989 4254
d***@langille.org
2004-06-13 13:42:28 UTC
Post by r***@gid.co.uk
Post by r***@psg.com
You'll have fun freeing up space for a FreeBSD partition
partition magic is your friend
Not when I don't have a copy to hand and I want to get my shiny new laptop
installed *RIGHT NOW* :-)
Then BootIt Next Generation is your friend (you can try it out
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/
Boot it from either a floppy or CDROM. Just DO NOT INSTALL IT, but
instead hit, "cancel", to go into maintenance mode, where you can then
resize FAT32/NTFS partitions.
BootIt NG worked well for me. Thanks.